Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Day 63: Day of Sound

I had the rare luxury of being able to drive by myself through the boreal forests after dropping off the Waterloo/Laurier crew at the airport. Today was the day of sound.

I listened to the radio, to the CBC broadcasts. I listened to music, and sang loudly with it. Then swhistled loudly over the weather forecast that the radio voice kept repeating. I stood in the wind and listened to the waves on the river, the waves on the beach. I baked in the sun while I read a novel. I ate an orange in the sand and cheese in the forest.

First stop on Goose Creek Rd was a kennel of sled dogs who
perked up at the approach of my car

Second stop: I found a new dump of twisted metal scraps



A taxidermied fox with the fur removed, found at the dump...

A plaque in memory and honour of the Sayisi Dene People.
They were relocated by the government to these concrete houses
where disease killed over 1/3 of the population from 1956 to 1973
at which point they freed themselves from the "grips of genocide."

What's left of the foundation of a house in "Dene Village"

Third stop: marshes

"One of these mornings
You're going to rise up singing
Then you'll spread your wings
And you'll take to the sky"

- "Summertime" by jazz artist George Gershwin

Adrift

The singing tower at the weir. With the wind blowing at 40km/hr
the metal sang like blowing air over a bottle top. It was beautiful.

The end of Goose Creek Road: the Churchill River

No comments:

Post a Comment